Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Love Dare - Day 11

I know I skipped a week or so in this whole dare thing, but I am back into it and will keep going as consistent as I can.

Love Dare Day 11 - Love Cherishes
This chapter is one of those that I highly agree with and it really speaks to me. It talks about considering the person you married as part of your own body, like the Bible urges us to. If you broke your arm, you are not going to cut it off, because it is broken, but instead, do everything you can to make sure it heals. When you are married, your spouse becomes a part of you, when you are happy so are they, when they are hurt, so are you. The problem comes when we all come to a painful realization that the person we married is far from perfect. So why in this culture is the marriage treated like it is an object that you own, say a car - if you don't like it anymore, if it is broken, just replace it by a newer model? So many sources nowadays state that you should kick the broken one out of your life to open room for something better that awaits you down the road... Shouldn't broken marriage be carefully nursed back to health?
The book urges to not let the culture around you determine the worth of your marriage. Instead, your marriage should be a picture of love between two imperfect people who choose to love each other regardless.
I highlighted "with the smile" because I will do anything for my husband, but sometimes I strugle with doing it with a smile. If he asks me for a favor at an unconvinient time, or something I really dread doing, I tend to have a problem with just doing it. I want to do help him, but I have hard time hiding the fact that I am not happy about doing what I have to do to help him. It is work in progress...

1 comment:

  1. I really like this book more and more every time. It gives a very wise and healthy prospective on things we got messed up in our mind. It is so simple and genius to trit you spouse like part of your body. With care, exceptance, genteelness and without the option to cut it off.

    ReplyDelete